Just about everything you read regarding ways to improve your mental health advocate the importance of sleep. Sleep is when your body restores itself.Continue reading “Feeling Tired? 5 Sleep Hacks for Everyone”
I worked at a small family owned business for almost 5 years. The management there was just awful. Drama, micromanaging, plenty of blame and almost no support….I heard “you did a good job” twice in four years.
A few months ago, before The Moody Mom was hatched, I was looking for a volunteer gig where I could take what I’d learned from my own experience with mental illness and help others. I heard about a text crisis line. So I signed up to become a volunteer crisis counselor.Continue reading “When someone tells you they’re suffering: what’s the right thing to say?”
Your brain is a muscle. It can be trained. They say it takes 14 days to form a habit. Try taking these tips one at a time…and if one is too hard, don’t worry. Try another one!
1. Protect your emotional well being with the big three: quality sleep, lots of water and slow, deep breathing.
2. Talk less. You don’t need to explain yourself as much as you think.
3. Stay in touch with family and friends and keep them in the loop of your life events. But first, ask them how they are doing. Relationships are a two way street.
4. Check your food and mood connection. Sugar, caffeine, alcohol and carbs have been linked to mood problems.
5. Get rid of unnecessary clothes, furniture and anything that may take up precious mental and physical real estate. Clutter has been linked to anxiety.
6. Self care. Make your first priority taking care of yourself. Take regular breaks at work. Say no. Allow yourself time every day to relax doing something you enjoy. Take vitamins. Laugh.
7. Keep your phone charged. Designate a place to put your keys and other essentials every day. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready and plenty of time to get to where you need to go.
8. Pause two beats to react to someone who’s getting on your nerves. If your child misbehaves and you’re angry, it’s ok to say you’ll give them their consequences tomorrow.
9. Steer clear of jerks, negative people and people who drain your energy. Especially at work. If you’re known as “that person’s” friend, it could hurt your career.
10. Let there be light. We each need sunlight or a “happy lamp” on our skin every day. Here is a reasonably priced Happy Lamp from Amazon. It won’t harm your skin.
Maybe you have some happiness hacks of your own. Let me know in the comments!